Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fun with gestational diabetes and ... my favorite craft project to date!

I have gestational diabetes. I found out a few days before Halloween and have been on my "diet" for three weeks.  I'm not doing this post to whine, just to help me remember this time.  My meal plan consists mostly of counting carbs, eating 6 times a day, and pricking myself  and testing blood sugars 6x a day.   Here is a little list of my likes/dislikes

 pros

  • felling better, I was feeling very pregnant, too pregnant for how far along I was
  • loosing 3lbs in the last 3 weeks (less to work off afterward)
  • less headaches, more stable blood sugars means less headaches
  • mandatory snack time at church (this one might be my fav) I go to the mothers lounge and test my blood and have a snack
  • being able to eat anything, just in balance and in moderation (I can have cake and ice cream, just a little bit at a time)
cons
  • pricking my finger 6x a day
  • my chances of getting  real diabetes over my life time is now 70%
  • feeling like I'm going to have to be super carefull the rest of my life
  • my sweet girl now has a higher chance of getting diabetes
  • timing out snacks and meals.  I have to set timers and alarms to remember that it's been 2 hours and to test and eat again
  • hard to have the right foods with me when traveling, harder to follow a schedule when traveling
  • The holidays....well there is only Christmas left but really that last the whole month
  • The extra Dr. appointments:  2x a week non-stress test, 1x week appt to check my blood sugar numbers and 1x month ultrasound to make sure the baby isn't getting too big.


On a more fun note....I love this craft project, no it's not original, but I still love it, it's something I want to keep forever.  (I don't think I felt this way about anything else that Colton has made besides his hand print plate) I was getting ready to paint Colton's hand to make the turkey, when Ted walks in and I explain to him what we are doing.  He has the idea to do his hand and Coltons hand together and helps with the rest of the craft project...Too cute.   Ted is a good Daddy!

5 comments:

*Lauren* November 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Cute turkey hands! Bradlie brought home her own turkey hand from nursery and I love it. I love the whole daddy/son turkey hands together. Sounds like the pros and cons are about equal right now. Sad it increases both of your chances--that sucks! Keep up the good work! See you later today!

Heidi November 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

ooh. i LOVE the project. (wish Carl was here to do it with Carson...even if it IS a little after Thanksgiving!)

Beth November 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

So sorry about the diabetes thing. What a drag. I love your positive attitude though :)
And I love the turkeys!! Super cute!!

Amy November 29, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

Love the turkeys! Such a cute daddy.
I have been reading a little about sugar and how it is in everything. I have a good book to recomend if you want it. We have good diabetes chances from my side and Mike's side so it is something I worry about too.

Liz November 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

I totally remember. Have you gotten into Greek Yogurt and fresh fruit? That saved me when I had the same. Don't miss those days, but at least you can have all the veggies you want right? ;0)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP